As the years continue to tick by, our bodies and health change. Entering middle-age often presents the first sign of a host of new health challenges for many people. So understanding your current health status can help you navigate the next phase in life. At Goodwin Drive Family Medical the Doctors regularly undertake the FREE 45 – 49 year old health check on those individual considered at risk of developing a chronic illness or condition.
This highly recommended 45-49 year old health assessment is available to help identify and prevent (or delay) the onset of a chronic disease. The check provides an opportunity for your GP to review and assess your lifestyle, medical history and current health status, as well as family history to determine if you are “at risk” of developing a chronic disease. You can then work with your Doctor to implement actions that will improve your health status and minimise your risk/s.
To be eligible for this FREE health check, you must be aged between 45 and 49 years and have at least one risk factor for developing a chronic disease, such as:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Impaired glucose metabolism
- Family history of chronic disease e.g. Heart Disease, Diabetes, Arthritis etc.
- Lack of physical activity
- Overweight (or a Body Mass index >25)
- Poor diet
- Alcohol misuse
What is involved?
The health check is very straight forward. Your GP and/or Practice Nurse at Goodwin Drive Family Medical will explain everything, however you can expect the following:
- Information collecting including your medical history and undertaking any relevant investigations and examinations.
- Overall assessment of your current state of health.
- Check your immunisations or screening tests (e.g. PAP smears) are all up to date.
- Advice and information on strategies to improve lifestyle and behaviour risk factors (including community-based resources or support services).
- Any referrals to other health providers / professionals (if needed).
Protecting your future health!
Whilst you might feel in great health and you’ve had little concern to visit a Doctor in the past, a health check at this stage of your life can in invaluable! Prevention is all-to-often key when it comes to your health. Making changes now can help set you up for better health in the future.
Contact the clinic on (07)3410 1122, book an appointment online or speak with your GP when next in the practice to learn more about your eligibility and what’s involved.